Monday, January 4, 2010

A new recipe with Greek influence~Artichoke & Avocado salad

Often times I find my self searching my memories for something good too eat, because I love food of course. Blending cultures and ingredients, that would normally not come into a recipe together, in order to create something new, exciting and most important of all~tasty. That is what I love to do most and this blog will help me share that passion with you.

My wife loves artichoke hearts and I tolerate them, so I wanted to find a way that I could enjoy eating them as much as her. Enter the Avocado:

1 can medium quartered artichoke hearts in water( rinsed and drained)
1 cup large pitted and garlic stuffed green olives
1 large avocado(not totally soft, just barely soft)
2 cups fresh snow peas(still in pod)
1/2 cup of diced white onion
1/4 cup Caesar salad dressing
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesean cheese
1 cup home made croutons
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

In a large bowl combine artichoke hearts, olives, snow peas and onions.
After peeling and pitting the avocado, cube it into 1/2~3/4 inch cubes and then add to other ingredients.
Pour salad dressing onto other ingredients and gently fold all ingredients together so as not to mash up the avocado.
Portion out servings onto salad plates, sprinkle with grated cheese and about 5~6 croutons, and garnish with cilantro.

This makes about 4~1 cup servings and is a light and fresh addition or substitution for a standard tossed salad.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh this sounds yummy! I love avocado and artichokes so I will be trying this one! Great job on the blog by the way! Good luck with this. It rocks so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another tasty dish! The creaminess of the avacado works remarkably well with the brine flavors of the olives. The croutons add just the right crunch to partner with the snow peas.

    As Scott said I love artichokes so this was an automatic win for me. I suggested he try this with the addition of Feta cheeze next time. If he gives is a go I'll let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete